Marriage License Information

Click here for steps to apply for a marriage license in Franklin County.

For Marriage License Fees, click here

Both parties must be present to complete a marriage license application with the exception of three instances. An Affidavit of Absent Applicant is available for parties who are active military, incarcerated, or qualified under the American Disabilities Act. Affidavits (found at the bottom of this page and specific to each instance) must be completed and presented, with payment, to the Recorder of Deeds office. All other applicants will be asked to provide a photo ID and Social Security numbers. If any applicant has not been issued a Social Security number, they shall sign an affidavit provided by the Recorder of Deeds. Original signatures are required from both parties.

The marriage license is only valid for 30 days from the date of issuance and can be used anywhere in the State of Missouri.


  • New Legislation Changes Marriage Age Requirement in Missouri (August 2018)
  • Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to obtain a license without parental consent, proof of age may be requested.
  • Applicants at least 16 years of age may obtain a license with the consent of the custodial parents at the time of application.
  • No license shall be issued for the marriage of a person 21 years or older if the other party is less than 18 years of age.
  • Previously married applicants must provide the date that their last marriage ended.
  • Blood tests are not required.

Applicants are responsible for delivering the license to the person who performs their marriage ceremony. The officiant shall complete the bottom portion of the license. The license shall be returned to the Recorder’s Office within fifteen days of the wedding (RSMo 193.185). The license is then recorded, filmed for preservation, and returned to the parties as a keepsake along with a certified copy. A certified copy is required as proof of your marriage for name change purposes at the DMV and Social Security Administration.

PLEASE NOTE: The Recorder of Deeds Office is not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies.

To request a certified copy of your marriage license, arrive in person, contact the Recorder of Deeds office, or go to Official Records Online 

You may also mail a personal check or money order along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:

Franklin County Recorder of Deeds
400 E. Locust, Rm. 102
Union, MO. 63084

Be sure to include with your request, both parties’ names as they appear on the license and the date the marriage took place.

In the event the wedding does not take place, DO NOT DESTROY. The Marriage License MUST be returned to the Recorder's Office marked "UNUSED".

Please feel free to contact our office with any questions you may have.